Monday, December 27, 2010

Pediatrician Hunt

If there's one thing I've fallen behind on, it's finding baby girl a pediatrician.  I started doing some preliminary research over a month ago, but between San Diego, Chicago and Christmas, the last few weeks have been just a little busy. 

My OB gave me her recommended list of pediatricians, so I started there and also searched on Yelp.com.  I've never been a huge "Yelper", but I actually found my OB on Yelp, so I've decided it's a great place to start your research for more important things than just which restaurant to eat at. 

When I first yelped pediatricians in my area, I was very excited to see that the pediatrician I grew up with came up very highly rated!  I remember loving Dr. Safir when I was little.  I was never scared of him and when my appointment was done, I got to pick out a toy from the big red train...so cool!  I was instantly excited at the thought of sending baby girl to the same doctor.  The alternate vaccination schedule is very important to me and this is my one concern.  According to his website, Dr. Safir follows the AAP vaccination schedule with no mention of any other options.  So it's not to say he won't be willing to follow an alternate schedule, but I'm waiting to hear back to confirm.  Unfortunately, I left a message well over a week ago and still haven't heard back.  Not the best impression...hoping I'll hear back soon.  But you snooze, you lose... 

I also called two doctors from the recommended list from my OB, Dr. Trager and Dr. Del Signore.  I was able to connect with Dr. Del Signore's office right away and the office assistant was super friendly and helpful.  I had a really good feeling about the office but unfortunately, I'm not sure this doctor would be willing to follow an alternate vaccination schedule either.  The assistant seemed a little clueless about what that meant or if it was even an option, so I'm a little suspicious.  I haven't heard back yet, but I just have a bad feeling about it. 

So, my final option was Dr. Trager.  Online reviews are stellar!  People seem to love this guy.  I called one day last week, left a message with his office and the very next day Dr. Trager called me back...hmm, I like that.  Unfortunately, I missed the call, so I called back this morning, talked to the office assistant again and she said she'd leave him the message.  I expected to hear back tomorrow, but he called me back this morning about an hour after I left the message...very impressed!  He was super friendly and gave me a quick run down of how things work.  He offers evening and weekend appointments, and the best news...he's completely ok with the alternate vaccination schedule!  I think we may have a winner!

I have to say, I hate the tie...not a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh paraphernalia, but I'll let it go.  Looks likes a friendly guy, right?  Well, if the other two don't get back to me soon, we'll make it official.  I think he'll be a great doctor for baby girl...hopefully he switches up the tie.

1 comments:

  1. Evening AND weekend appointments?! Definitely a winner :-) I was excited that our ped had weekend appointments. And that's awesome he's open to an alternate vax schedule.

    ReplyDelete