Sunday, November 6, 2011

Labor of Love...

They're done!!  I hadn't posted about these quilts and process of creating them for fear that the recipient would see the post and know they were coming!  When I had Maya, my sister-in-law Deanna, made me/Maya two awesome quilts and they were one of my favorite gifts!

Handmade things always seem a little more special since you know a lot of time and hard work went into them.  Receiving the quilts also sparked a little crafty fire in me and I instantly knew I wanted to try to make one myself.  When my friend Janet announced that she was pregnant with twins I was beyond thrilled for her and excited that I now had an opportunity to take on a project!  I could make a quilt...err, two quilts!  

From this...

To this...


And none of it would have been possible if it wasn't for my awesome crafty friend, Kacey, who taught me all I need to know and let me borrow all the supplies I didn't have.  She graciously had me and Maya over to her house on multiple occasions to walk me through every step.  And when Maya became whiny and got in her "I just want you to hold me mode" as she often does these days, Kacey was more than willing to take over and work on it for me (cheating, I know, but it was awfully nice to utilize her speed for some time!)  She was also always available on text for everything from choosing fabric to trouble shooting my mom's sturdy but very old sewing machine, and everything in between.  I probably have more text messages with her than my hubby!  THANK YOU KACEY!  You're the best quilting teach a girl could ask for!

It was such a fun process and I'm really happy with the results.  If anything, I'm kinda sad I have to give them away already...a mere 18 hours from the last stitch!  I hope that Janet and the twins enjoy these quilts as much as Maya and I enjoy ours :)

3 comments:

  1. They look SO good sis! Love them. Hope you had fun at the shower. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful! I'm really impressed! I wish I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Auntie Lisa! They LOVE them! (And their mama does, too!) In fact, I'm keeping the babies warm with one of them as I type so they can start getting some use out of them a little early. They're giving them lots of approval kicks. :)

    ReplyDelete